SURFER

PROFESSIONAL HOBO


What did you want to be when you grew up? At first, I wanted to be a cowboy but once I got to be old enough to know better, I wanted to be an Indian. Somehow, I decided on becoming a Catholic priest instead and I entered a seminary at age 14.

By the time I was 17 years old, I was married and had a family. I lost my family and my religion by age 21. I remember fearing then that the mistakes that I was making regarding my career and lifestyle choices might permanently damage my chances for a happy life. The switch-ups were much heavier and harder to take than regular job changes. I guess that's how it is when you're actually searching for a "vocation" instead of deciding on a "career."

My academic performance proved that I was bright enough for business and I had thought about becoming "real good" at it. I decided that I did have a great mind for that kind of thing, but not the heart. Had I elected to be so, I think that I could have been the ultimate business man. A real dick of a guy, going around screwing everybody in the whole wide world. I was growing up in an age where that was becoming possible and now, we are there... but thankfully... I'm not (that guy)!.

I wrestled with my options and chose a vocation that wouldn't rob me of my soul (in case I needed it for something some day; I wasn't really sure, but I was suspicious enough not to risk it). I didn't want to be a professional businessman but I didn't want to be a bum either, so I decided that I was going to be a "PROFESSIONAL HOBO" when I grew-up.

Since I was already beyond my teen years when I made this choice, I assumed the position immediately. ¨Unlike Tramps, who worked only when they were forced to, and Bums, who never worked at all; Hobos were workers who wandered and took longish holidays" (quoted from a web source). Some believe that the term "Hobo" comes from the words "Hoe Boy," or in other words, farmhand

One famous Hobo was known to discourage young people from following the path in life that he chose. He claimed that he "began out of necessity, continued because I loved the life and now... because I know nothing else." There is a Hobo Code Of Ethics and "A #1" is the Hobo who constituted them and he is also the one who made the previous statement.

The first rule of the road for anyone who would be A HOBO is, "DECIDE YOUR OWN LIFE. I heard about one of the "King Of The Hobos" long ago. He was called, "Steam Train Murray." I found out that his real name was Maurice Graham. Don't you like his Hobo Handle better?

Hobos were all but extinct by the time that I took-up the trade. I had no mentor or trainer to teach me about the Hobo Code Of Ethics so how is it that I discovered and practiced them (all) entirely on my own? It wasn't until yesterday that I read them for the first time ever, after finding them on-line. I didn't know the actual definition of a bum (or a Tramp) until yesterday either. I just figured, early-on, that the difference between a Professional Hobo and a bum was a code of ethics. Imagine how thrilled I was to find out now, that I was right about Hobos, and about myself for wanting to be one too.

I never met a real Hobo, but I wouldn't attend the annual Hobo Convention to do so either. I imagine, The Annual Hobo Convention, to be like so many other hat and pin parties where "wanna bes" are trying to jump on a Bandwagon instead of a Steam Train.

No comments:

Post a Comment